- Scientists debate mysterious flash of light in space, known as ‘The Cow’ Digital Trends
- Holy cow! Astronomers puzzle over a mysterious blast EarthSky
- Astronomers Capture the Birth of a Black Hole The Atlantic
- Astronomers are cracking one of the greatest new mysteries of the sky AlterNet
- "The First Ever" --Cosmic Sleuths Witness Birth of a Black Hole or Neutron Star The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel
- View full coverage on Google News
On June 16, 2018 there was an unusual flash in the sky which puzzled astronomers around the world. NASA researchers have collected data on the event and have shared two competing theories for what could have caused it: a black hole shredding a white dwarf, or a supernova giving birth to a neutron star.
Astronomers are arguing over a brief and unusual flash in the night sky from earlier this year. The call it the Cow. One group argues it was a monster black hole shredding a passing star. The other argues it might have been a black hole being born.
It was unusually bright and evolving fast.
Odd event could be explained by a star being ripped apart by a black hole.
“We know from theory that black holes and neutron stars form when a star dies, but we’ve never seen them right after they are born. Never!” said Raffaella Margutti, assistant professor of physics and astronomy at Northwestern University about the mysterious bright object that has baffled astronomers dubbed ‘The Cow’. “A ‘lightbulb’ was sitting […]